Hrastovac - Eichendorf




Rosina T. Schmidt

All material 2002-present,
Rosina T. Schmidt,
  unless otherwise noted.


Personal Recollections

Our Flight from Kikinda in 1944
Liselotte Bauer
Translated by Rosina T. Schmidt

Das originalle Bericht ist unten zu lesen:

After the break of Romania from the collaboration with the Nazi-Germany in mid-August 1944 and because of the fast approaching Front, the evacuation of the Serbian Banat was prepared according to the plan in Belgrade. The ethnic German population (Danube Swabians) was assembled in closely escorted treks and by September we were to be crossing the Theiß River in the direction of Austria, mainly by horse and wagons. My father was able to organize a team of horses and the wagon was ready and packed. However, on September 10th, 1944, the Commander-in-Chief Behrens in Belgrade put the plan on hold, because the refugees from the Romanian Banat had to be first funneled through our city Kikinda. There was confusion among the people of what to do next. Luckily, we were able to leave our homeland town on October 4, 1944 with the last train and a bit of luggage heading towards Szeged, escorted by an aunt with her three little children whose husband was deployed in Bosnia.

From Szeged the trip continued with a freight train in the direction of Vienna, with many short and long stop-overs on the open prairie, due to sabotage, including a low-flying attack where our train engineer was shot. Fortunately among the refugees was another train engineer and he managed to get us to Vienna. After many long days and cold nights of travel we arrived in the Vienna's main train station, where we were greeted with loud boos, as the city was already overflowing with soldiers and refugees.

After our registration we were sent by train to Lower Austria and were settled on the surrounding farms of the Amstetten district. Now we had a roof above our heads, but one could not describe it as housing. The situation in the village improved only gradually; everyone was trying to make the best out of the miserable circumstances. Alas, we could not find any news of the whereabouts of the rest of our family members. One had to travel to Vienna and try to obtain the information through the Red Cross. That is how my mother did eventually learn about the whereabouts of my 17-year-old brother and send him the address of our new place of residence. At Christmas 1944 we were able to celebrate together but from our other many close relatives we had no news of their whereabouts.
The year 1945 brought us new difficulties. For my brother and myself there were no schools in our little village so we were sent to a boarding school in the former Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.  Unfortunately only for a short duration. Early in April the older students were recruited and the girls were evacuated to Lower Bavaria. There was no time to notify my parents so all of a sudden I was on my own.

Even though our teachers were with us, they themselves were totally overwhelmed and scared. The end of the war, the occupation by the Americans, the general insecurity and hunger had to be coped by us children on our own. By July I discovered that my grandmother was also living in Lower Bavaria and I sent her a message via underground connections as letter delivery, public transportation and so many other things back then were non-existent. It took some time until one of my uncles picked me up and brought to my grandmother.

Meanwhile, we found out that the Russians occupied Lower Austria, which did worry me very much. My parents were still there where I had left them, or had they been repatriated as the rumors reported? My father’s youngest sister was still somewhere in the Soviet zone, but where? Then in October she appeared at my grandmother’s place but brought me very sad news: my father was seriously ill and the doctors could do nothing for him, because he had no will to go on without his children. In December my mother took me back to Lower Austria and my father gathered again the courage for fighting for his health and made it even happen after many agonizing months.

The next stage: In Lower Austria we could not and did not want to stay as my parents had no opportunity to earn a living, especially not in small rural communities, and because as refugees we were not welcome. At that time one could no longer legally immigrate to Germany or go illegally across the border with three small children. We had to find a different way and that is where our ancestry roots came in handy.

My paternal ancestors came almost exclusively from Lorraine; the one ancestor was even born in Picardy who later moved to Lorraine where he has lived and worked. The many Banaters with roots in Lorraine had friends and acquaintances who lived in the French sector of Vienna and using this fact made it possible for the refugees from the Banat to become returnees to their original home country and the entry into France. Mr. Lammers put in a petition and succeeded through Mr. Robert Schumann, a member of the then French government, to find an acceptance for this plan. After this project has been approved all compatriots had to move first to the Tyrol Province of Austria that was in the French occupied zone, which we were able to achieve with much fear and worry and with many problems in 1947 even without getting caught.
Our new home now was a refugee camp close to the city of Innsbruck that functioned like a little village. Eventually we were also able to find work so we could live and attended evening courses to further develop our education while we patiently waited for the immigration papers into France. In March of 1949 a convoy was created in Bregenz that brought us to Strasbourg and from there to Mulhouse in southern Alsace. There we received a residence permit, found work and obtained a work permit.

As a German one was not popular in post-war France, but one learned to live with it. I was offered the opportunity to quickly learn the French language and cutch-up on my education and so France became for me my second home. I liked the French mentality and their lifestyle very much and if I would not have met my husband, I would certainly have stayed in France.

I ended up moving to Karlsruhe in Baden and now live since 1960 here. My parents moved to my brother, who after being released from a prisoner of war camp also settled in Germany, but in the northern area.

As a result of all these events, I came to conclusion that I do not miss so much the loss of my birthplace and whatever it had to offer as I miss the loss and scattering of our big family all over Germany and the loss of the many people that were killed in the war.

Liselotte Bauer

Die Flucht aus Kikinda, Banat in 1944

Die Evakuierung des serbischen Banats war nach dem Seitenwechsel Rumäniens Mitte August 1944 und dem Näherrücken der Front planmäßig in Belgrad vorbereitet worden. Die deutsche Bevölkerung sollte im September, vorwiegend mit Pferd und Planwagen, in geschlossenen begleiteten Trecks über dieTheiß setzen und weiter nach Österreich ziehen. Mein Vater konnte auch ein Gespann organisieren und der Wagen war gepackt. Doch am 10. September 1944 wurde durch den Oberbefehlshaber Behrens aus Beograd dieser Plan gestoppt, weil die Flüchtlinge aus dem rumänischen Banat zunächst durch Kikinda geschleust werden mußten. Es herrschte allgmeine Verwirrung bei den Menschen ob des weiteren Vorgehens. Wir konnten jedoch am 4. Oktober 1944 mit dem letzten Zug und wenig Gepäck unsere Stadt in Richtung Szegedin verlassen, begeitet von einer Tante mit drei kleinen Kindern, deren Mann im Einsatz in Bosnien war.

Von Szegedin ging es dann in einem Güterzug weiter in Richtung Wien, mit vielen kurzen und auch längeren Aufenthalten auf offener Strecke, wegen Sabotageakten, u.a. ein Tieffliegerangriff, wobei unser Lokomomotivführer erschossen wurde. Unter den Füchtlingen befand sich ein anderer Lokführer und dieser blieb uns bis Wien erhalten. Nach vielen langen Tagen und kalten Nächten fuhren wir im Wiener Hauptbahnhof ein, wo wir mit lauten Buhrufen empfangen wurden, denn die Stadt war bereits übervoll von Soldaten und Flüchtlingen.

Nachdem wir registriert waren, wurden wir nach Niederösterreich gefahren und im Kreis Amstetten auf Bauernhöfen einquartiert. Ein Dach hatten wir zwar über dem Kopf, doch von Wohnung konnte da keine Rede sein. Erst allmählich entspannte sich die ganze Situation im Dorf, alle versuchten sich zu arrangieren. Nur konnten wir vor Ort keinerlei Nachrichten über den Verbleib unserer anderen Familienmitglieder einholen, da musste man schon nach Wien reisen und beim Roten Kreuz nachforschen. So konnte meine Mutter den Aufenthaltsort meines 17-jährigen Bruders erfahren und ihm unseren neuen Wohnort mitteilen. Weihnachten 1944 konnten wir dann zusammen feiern, aber von den anderen zahlreichen Verwandten hatten wir keinerlei Nachricht.

Das Jahr 1945 brachte uns dann neue Schwierigkeiten. In unserem kleinen Dorf hatten wir keine Möglichkeit weiter zur Schule zu gehen und so kamen mein Bruder und ich in ein Internat im damaligen Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren, leider nur für kurze Zeit. Anfang April wurden die älteren Schüler rekrutiert und die Schülerinnen nach Niederbayern evakuiert. Meine Eltern konnte ich davon nicht mehr in Kenntnis setzen und so war ich plötzlich ohne Familie. Wir waren zwar von unseren Lehrkräften umrahmt, aber diese waren selbst total überfordert und verängstigt. Das Kriegsende, die Besetzung durch die Amerikaner, die allgemeine Unsicherheit und auch den Hunger mußten wir Kinder eben alleine verkraften. Erst im Juli konnte ich erfahren, dass meine Großmutter sich auch in Niederbayern befand und auf Umwegen ihr eine Nachricht senden - Briefbeförderung, Öffentlicher
Verkehr und so manches andere gab es ja damals nicht mehr. Es verging dann eine geraume Zeit bis einer meiner Onkel mich abholte und zu meiner Großmutter brachte.

Inzwischen wußte man auch schon, dass Niederösterreich von den Russen besetzt worden war und das bereitete mir sehr große Sorgen. Waren meine Eltern noch da wo ich sie verlassen hatte oder hatte man sie rapatriiert, wie ein Gerücht berichtete. Die jüngste Schwester meines Vaters war auch noch irgendwo in der sowjetischen Zone, aber wo genau. Im Oktober tauchte sie dann bei uns auf, brachte mir aber eine sehr schlechte Nachricht : mein Vater war schwer krank und die Ärzte konnten nichts mehr für ihn tun, denn er hatte keinen Mut mehr weiterzuleben ohne seine Kinder. Im Dezember holte mich meine Mutter dann nach Niederösterreich zurück und mein Vater wollte nun wieder gesund werden und schaffte es auch nach langen qualvollen Monaten.

Nächste Etappe : In Niederöstereich konnten und wollten wir nicht bleiben, weil es für meine Eltern keine Verdienstmöglichkeiten gab, besonders in den kleinen Landgemeinden, und weil wir Flüchtlinge nicht willkommen waren. Nach Deutschland konnte man damals nicht mehr legal einreisen und über die grüne Grenze mit drei kleinen Kinder zu gehen war einfach unmöglich. Also mußten wir ein anderen Weg finden und dieser lag in unserer Abstammung. Meine Ahnen väterlicherseits kamen fast ausschließlich aus Lothringen, der Urahn wurde sogar in der Picardie geboren und war nach Lothringen gezogen und hat dort gelebt und gewirkt. Da zahlreiche Banater aus Lothringen stammten hatten Landsleute, die im französischen Sektor in Wien lebten, aus dieser Tatsache eine Möglichkeit abgeleitet, Flüchtlingen aus dem Banat quasi als Rückkehrer in die Urheimat eine Einreise nach Frankreich zu ermöglichen. Herrn Lammersfeld war es gelungen bei Herrn Robert Schumann, Mitglied der damaligen französischen Regierung, einen Fürsprecher für diesen Plan zu finden. Als dieses Vorhaben genehmigt worden war, mußten alle Landsleute zunächst nach Tirol in die französsche Zone umziehen, was uns mit großen Schwerigkeiten 1947 auch gelang, wenn auch mit Angst und Bange erwischt zu werden.

In der Nähe von Innsbruck waren wir nun in einem Lager untergebracht, welches wie ein kleines Dorf funktionnierte. Nach und nach fand man auch Arbeit um überleben zu können, abends Kurse belegen um sich weiter zu bilden und geduldig auf die Einreise nach Frankreich warten. Im März 1949 wurde dann in Bregenz ein Convoi zusammengestellt, der uns nach Strasbourg und von dort nach Mulhouse in das südliche Elsass brachte. Wir bekamen eine Aufenthaltsgenehmigung, fanden Arbeit und dazu auch eine Arbeitserlaubnis. Als Deutsche war man im Nachkriegs-Frankreich zwar nicht so sehr beliebt, aber man konnte damit leben. Mir bot sich die Gelegenheit, sehr schnell die französische Sprache zu erlernen und die verlorene Schulbildung nachzuholen und so wurde Frankreich für mich zur zweiten Heimat. Mir gefiel die Metalität und die Lebensweise der Franzosen sehr und hätte ich meinen Mann nicht kennengelernt, wäre ich sicherlich in Frankreich geblieben. So bin ich denn nach Karlsruhe in Baden gezogen und lebe nun schon 1960 hier. Meine Eltern sind zu meinem Bruder umgesiedelt, der nach seiner Kriegsgefangenschaft auch in Deutschland lebte, aber in nördlicheren Gefielden.

Als Fazit all dieser Geschehnisse muss ich festhalten, dass mir nicht der Verlust meines Geburtsortes und dessen Beschaffenheit so schwer fiel wie der Zerfall unserer großen Familie, die über ganz Deutschland verstreut war und auch viele Kriegstote zu beklagen waren.



Jan. 2015